Monday 20 May 2013

2012/2013

2012 was a fantastic race season because:
  • I did 4 races in the RunFuther series and therefore got a hat!! This was my main aim of the season so it's fantastic to wonder around in my beloved cap!
  • I ran my biggest race so far, the 131-mile Ring O' Fire, and it didn't hurt too much!
  • I joined Team Montane!! Lots of awesome new kit and chatting to their more experienced athletes has really spurred me on...in fact, I doubt I would have dared to enter Ring O' Fire without them  :-)
  • I did lots of new-to-me races that I really enjoyed like Long Tour of Bradwell and Round Rotherham
  • And I returned to some classics like the Isle of Jura fell race and the Lakeland 100, which both have fantastic atmospheres and free camping!

Doug took time out of his busy schedule to model the latest fashion

I think the biggest improvement this year was my ability to finish races even if I'm not in the greatest state! Completing the RoF has really boosted my confidence because if I'm struggling in a single day 30-mile race, I just think back to day 2 and 3 of RoF and know that I'm so much fresher and will be fine!

So for 2013, I've done something silly......I've entered the Spine Race!! 268 non-stop miles along the entire Pennine Way!! There will be endless bogs, 16 hours of darkness a day, freezing cold conditions, etc! I had a great training run with the other competitors, running the 47 mile Pennine Bridleway loop, now looking forward to more!
Also for 2013, I've got a place in the Montane Lakeland 100 and the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc, so it's going to be an excellent year!! I'd like to do as many RunFurther races as possible too, some classic fell races and check out some new international races :-)

Christmas Day run :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment